I see this youtube clip of fresh prince dealing with his biological father. It was amazing seeing the emotions that were underlying Will Smiths’ emotions. Let’s take a look:
So follow along with me here.
1. Will was excited that he can spend time with his father. A relationship of love, something that he was always missing out on with his pops.
2. His dad wasn’t sharing the same sentiment. His dad dissed him and gave him the cold shoulder.
3. Will pretended to act tough about it, act like he was a tough guy and it didn’t matter if he had things to do.
4. When his dad left, Will was very angry, and he started going off on how he doesn’t need him, and how he never needed him. And how he did everything without him. He had a lot of bottled up anger towards him, for all the times his dad wasn’t there for him.
5. Then after letting the anger out, the deeper feelings came out of tears and sadness and hurt for what his father did.
6. Will’s final comment illustrates the root hurt: “How come he don’t want me man?” He doesn’t feel loved by his father.
Okay, follow me so far?
Let’s take a look at a couple ayat from Surah Yusuf:
إذ قالوا ليوسف و أخوه أحب إلى أبينا منا و نحن عصبة إن أبانا لفي ضلال مبين . اقتلوا يوسف أو اطرحوه أرضا يخل لكم وجه أبيكم و تكونوا من بعده قوما صالحين
When they (brothers) said, “For sure, Yusuf and his brother are more beloved to OUR father than we are, and WE are a group of tough guys. For sure, our father has made a huge mistake. Kill Yusuf or throw him out in some far away land, so your father’s attention will be diverted back to you. Then, you all will be good guys after that. 12:8-9
1. The brothers showed animosity and hatred toward’s Yusuf.
2. They felt that they were a bunch of tough guys and acted like tough guys, acting like they didn’t care about being loved.
3. They didn’t receive that same attention and love as the father showed Yusuf earlier on in the surah.
4. The feeling of not being loved by their was so strong, they wanted to kill their brother to get dad’s love.
Pretty amazing similarities. Allah knows our emotions and understands where we’re coming from.