لا تتبعوا خطوات الشيطان إنه لكم عدو مبين
Don’t follow the footsteps of Shaitan, For sure, he is, ESPECIALLY to you an open enemy.
Nothing is more truthful than the speech of Allah. When something is said, nothing else could more vividly and accurately describe the phenomenon.
Shaitan is our clearcut enemy. After experiencing his full blown attacks on me on a daily basis, I am only now feeling the truthfulness and the reality of the above ayah. He is such a big time hater and enemy of us that it can’t be put into any better words than Allah has spoken.
He is the silent assassin. Living with us, observing us from day 1. Finding what makes us tick, and what makes us fall and screw up. He exploits our individual weaknesses and capitalizes on it.
If he sees you are weak when it comes to temptations, he hits you hard with that path. If he sees you are weak with doubts and lies, he will work on that. If he sees loopholes in your self worth, he will try to exploit that and ruin that even more. Well to be honest, Shaitan was the one who corrupted our sense of self worth to begin with!
Look at a step by step – scenario that he has got me with this morning:
- I wake up for fajr, feeling more anxious and unsure, and he whispers things to get my anxiety running.
- I pray fajr, and I am not as connected as I would like to have been.
- He gives ideas that I am falling so short in my religion and I have no khushu’ and you need to do something about it immediately
- I am feeling pressured and more stressed to try to further scrutinize and “figure out” what I need to do to get more khushu’ and feel closer to Allah.
- The stress is higher now, and I can’t fall asleep because of the excess stress.
- I am feeling frustrated with my sleep situation.
- Shaitan makes me feel guilty that I’m not “pleased with the Qadr of Allah” that He didn’t decree sleep for me.
- I feel more burdened by it seeming that it is not an easy task to get close to Allah.
- I feel like Allah maybe is making it difficult to get closer and nearer to him because of my shortcomings.
- Shaitan whispers more that I am simply unacceptable in Allah’s eyes. I feel worse, and I fall into negative thoughts about my religion and Allah.
- I drop off my son and wife, my wife doesn’t want me to drop off our son, but her first.
- I feel pressured and my old feelings of not being approved of kick in, then I get frustrated that she doesn’t agree to my idea. because she wouldn’t like that, and I would feel anxious that she’s not pleased with my decision.
- So I drop her off first, and I am frustrated, on edge, emotional, and yelling about this situation, that I wanted to drop the son off first, and she should’ve let me.
- I leave, and then Shaitan tells me, “What kind of manners do you have. Do students of knowledge behave the way you do? You aren’t even close to having good manners like you’re supposed to. You don’t even deserve to have the title student of knowledge, and shouldn’t even be studying because of how poor your manners are.
- I feel that I shouldn’t even be studying, because my manners and etiquettes are so unbefitting of a true islamic student of knowledge.
Well Brothers and Sisters, These are the steps of the enemy #1. May Allah protect us from his whispers and evil plots and plans. How do we resolve these issues? By learning who Allah is, and how amazing He is. And once we know who He is, our hearts will love Him, and be attached to Him, and we won’t get fooled by الغرور – The deceiver. May Allah help us, because Allah’s help is so close if we actually believe Allah is our friend and supporter.